Tuesday 12 September 2017

An Open Letter To The Mind


By itself. 


    Dearest Mind,

    Firstly thank you very much for your presence. You are amazing, intelligent, caring and lovable. Thank you for all your hard work and never ceasing attention to things that matter most. I love you dearly. 

    I appreciate how you make me feel, literally, I can feel feelings that can be quite strong and intense, only by noticing thoughts and images. I can see how you tirelessly go out into the future scenarios making sure that all the problems have ready made solutions. I can see how inventive and creative you are with the images. You can pick any topic and create something out of nothing. I bow in respect to your ability to throw me out of balance and give me sensations that something is wrong, can be wrong, was wrong and will be wrong and so on. I applaud your tireless aiming to control what is about to happen, protecting me from making old mistakes. You are a genius in manipulating how I feel. 

    Thank you for all your work that you have done to protect the heart from being hurt, from being open and vulnerable. Even if the heart was hurt by your limitations, it was still better than feeling those scary feelings, right? Numbing of the heart is a big work and you, dear Mind, have done it so well. You deserve a crown and a throne. Or at least a diamond tiara. 

    Here's the thing. As much as I enjoy your created world and drama, all I really want is peace. I have been watching your mind movies all this time and I see that nothing new is there-- same old patterns, same characters, same problems, same hopelessness. It's no longer needed for me. I am writing to ask you, dearest Mind, to stop creating illusions. 

    Please stop luring me into imaginary conversations with imaginary friends about imaginary scenarios. Please stop giving me solutions to imaginary problems and stories of the past that made me feel hateful, shameful, grieving, small and not enough. Please stop showing me possible futures where I'm stuck in fear. Please just be here and now, and watch, observe, notice, what is actually happening-- right in the moment. You don't even need to comment. You don't need to try to fix anything or protect me from imaginary dangers. 

     I'd like to ask you to drop your unnecessary tasks, impractical patterns, addictions to thinking and image making, daydreaming about a happy tomorrow and the like. And just really relax; be. Be caring, loving, creative, illumined, playful in the now. Be receptive and questioning. Be open to receive wisdom. Stop knowing everything about everything. It's not your job. I'd like to invite you to be silent and aware. This is your job. 

     All I want is peace.
     So, enough of building your sand castles of illusions. Rest deeply. Be at peace. 

     All I want is peace-- so the heart can come alive again and open up without being restricted by what you think.

     It's okay to feel. 

     All I want is peace.

     You can be still and quiet and still hear, see, smell, taste, sense and feel. 

     All I want is peace. 

     Do you hear me, dearest Mind? Can we let the monkey mind go back to the natural habitat with all the drums and whistles? It was fun to have a mind-monkey active, but it's no longer wanted. It can go. I'm sure it won't be missed. 

     All I want is peace. 

     And as you see, peace is here, now, underneath all the noise of words and images. 

     Be still.

     Be quiet. 

     There is nothing in the way of peace once you, beloved Mind, stop producing illusions. It's okay to rest, it is safe. Nothing is going to happen if you stop imagining yourself in charge of the universe. Can you see this, dear Mind, that you can be empty and relaxed, yet everything is still happening? 

     All I want is peace. 

     Can we end the internal war with what is? Can we refocus on what really matters?

     I bow to you and I love you. Let us celebrate life.

     Let's try this, okay? 


With love. 
I now retire.

8 comments:

  1. I love it. Perfect. THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For thoughts are not what is?

    "I'd like to ask you to drop your unnecessary tasks, impractical patterns, addictions to thinking and image making, daydreaming about a happy tomorrow and the like. And just really relax; be. Be caring, loving, creative, illumined, playful in the now. Be receptive and questioning. Be open to receive wisdom. Stop knowing everything about everything. It's not your job. I"

    Really? What is the mind's job?
    And what is this if not just thoughts 'about' life, wishful thinking?
    What is being identified here with, if not just thoughts?

    Returning the favor... "Can a thought think?" can a thought change any of this?
    What can a thought do?

    ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The minds job is to be aware. Illusion making and believing them is optional and that it's self created suffering.
      No thoughts are needed in order to be. One can rest in the silence and notice the fullness, aliveness, love and joy.
      ❤️

      Delete
  3. Aware yes!

    Your very sight and sound experiences are illusions, we have never seen reality in the moment, it is completely put together, made up by the mind. So are thoughts.. Wanting to get rid of thoughts is like fireing the greatest magician in the world cause we can't understand his tricks.

    What creates suffering is to argue with this, wanting it to be different than what is. One can experience silence, peace and joy right in the midst of intense traffic, and thoughts are just noise...

    Years of deprogramming this mind, and being very successful at it, tought me that it's useless to engage with an illusion... Invariably, the monkey takes you back to square one once you let go of deprogramming and for even a short period.

    When thoughts pore in, invite more!
    "Come closer thoughts, show me you, show more of you if you wish, won't let you go, love you just the way you are, and want you to stay! " Do it sincerily

    Then connect with sensations, stay very intimate with them while watching thoughts stream by...
    And see how thoughts disapear like magic, to let feelings of love and self acceptance rise... all on their own

    Or go "blah, blah, blah, blah" for 15-20 minutes, just gibberish. Get up, move around and let the whole body into it. Then sit down and feel... nothing but silence ☺️



    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting thought... Hehe

    "One can rest in the silence and notice the fullness, aliveness, love and joy."
    What's in the way of this but a thought about it?

    "No thoughts are needed in order to be"
    Right! So once this has been seen, how should thoughts be a problem?

    "Illusion making and believing them is optional and that it's self created suffering."
    how can a belief in an illusion create suffering if seen as such, if not just because of another thought/belief that it's an option?

    "The minds job is to be aware."
    Amen!
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️



    ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful article, thanks.

    Can you see this, dear Mind, that you can be empty and relaxed, yet everything is still happening - I agree.

    I was also thinking too much one day and then I decided to write an open letter to my mind. Do visit my blog and let me know what do you think :)

    We have thought of some similar things :)

    http://www.onmycanvas.com/2018/02/open-letter-to-my-mind/
    Love,
    Priyanka

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a powerful message.Almost felt like im the one writing it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

    ReplyDelete